Dear civil society friends, colleagues and comrades,
Following the COP 17 civil society preparatory meetings hosted by the Heinrich Boell Foundation (HBS) and Earthlife Africa earlier this year, a follow-up meeting was set for the 27/28th of January 2011 in Durban. As you know, an interim planning committed was appointed to map out this event in November, and we are working to pull it together, with the support and partnership of HBS and GCCA (TckTckTck.org).
This email is being sent to one representative from each organization that has participated/been invited to the previous meetings – please circulate the information to the other relevant people in your organization.
Details of venue and participation will follow. In the meantime, this is a reminder to please:
– set aside 27/28 January 2011 in your diary
– email us your COP 17 related plans for 2011
– send us proposals for a civil society platform or manifesto in response to COP 17 (targets for ourselves, for government, and for the international community)
– send us any specific proposals you would like to table at the January meeting, e.g., for a march for climate justice
– advise us of organisations that were not present at the previous meetings, but that should be included or wish to be included in this process (see attached list of participants). We feel that it would be particularly useful to build on the number of organizations based in Durban itself.
– advise us of any organizations that have participated in the preparatory meetings in 2010, and have inadvertently been left off the circulated participation list
– advise us of any needs or expectations you may have of the January conference
NB: Those attending will most likely need to cover the costs of their own travel and accommodation. Some funds may be available to support those who cannot afford this.
Thanks, regards, and best wishes,
The COP 17 civil society interim planning committee